ICA Cristo Rey, an all-girls Catholic, college-preparatory school in San Francisco, is sponsored by the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose. Our school community reflects Jesus’ care and concern for all people and we live in solidarity with our school’s foundress, Mother Maria Pia Backes, and her mission for the young, the poor, and the vulnerable.
ICA Cristo Rey is a member of the Cristo Rey Network of Schools. Our girls engage in a corporate work study experience that makes college preparatory education accessible and affordable.
Chief Finance Officer
Position: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Reports to: Sister Diane Aruda, President
Job Status: Full Time
Date Posted: October 10, 2019
Mission Statement: ICA Cristo Rey, a Catholic, college-preparatory school, educates young women for college and a life of faith, integrity and service. As a Cristo Rey school in the Dominican tradition, we are committed to providing both excellent education and meaningful corporate work study experience to students of limited financial resources.
Primary Purpose/Job Summary:
- Under the direction of the President, the CFO supports the mission of the Academy through leadership of all aspects of business and financial management, including preparation of financial statements, annual budgeting and long-range financial planning. The CFO manages the day to day financial operations of the Academy, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and monthly financial close. The CFO ensures that internal controls are strong, and financial policies and systems for all aspects of financial accounting are in place.
- The CFO analyzes, prepares and shares timely financial data and makes recommendations to the President, the Board Finance Committee and the Board of Directors, as appropriate.
Essential Functions/Role and Responsibilities
- Design, manage and continuously improve the processes and systems which enable strong financial management.
- Direct responsibility for accounting, finance, organization-wide budgets, administrative purchasing and contracting.
- Direct responsibility for oversight of day-to-day finance and accounting operations (including general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, fixed assets, prepaids, credit card expense reporting, endowments, payroll processing, vacation accruals and monthly reconciliations) to ensure timely and accurate financial information with appropriate internal controls.
- Work with the president, the board and the finance committee, drive the annual budget process and track performance against the budget.
- Prepare comprehensive monthly financial statements which convey key financial information to the finance committee and the board.
- Lead the Academy’s annual financial audit process, ensure year-round compliance with GAAP and non-profit accounting standards.
- Provide timely, accurate and high quality financial reporting to management and the board to support policy and operational decisions, and strategic initiatives.
- Manage and supervise the finance department staff including a senior accountant and staff accountant.
- Prepare and manage the Academy’s cash flow projections and keep management and the board of directors informed of the available monthly cash balance
- Prepare cash flow analysis and planning, organizational and project budgeting and forecasting, the chart of accounts, and accounts receivable and payable.
- Collaborate with the Admissions Office and the President to provide Financial Aid for families.
- Prepare quarterly Endowment investment portfolio performance and report to the Board Finance Committee.
- Manage employee benefits and retirement.
- Review for proper back up documentation and general ledger account recording for all cash disbursements and signage of checks.
- Attend and participate in meetings of the Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
- Collaborate with the Mission Advancement department to maintain accurate recording of donations between Salesforce and the Academy’s financial software.
- Represent ICA Cristo Rey at appropriate community events and in professional meetings as directed by the President.
- Work collaboratively with the President, Principal, the Director of the Corporate Work Study Program, the Director of Mission Advancement, the Director of Admissions and the Board of Directors.
- In depth knowledge of accounting for non-profits, including best practices and legal guidelines.
- Ability to work with senior management and the board to provide timely, accurate and high quality financial reporting.
- Ability to work collaboratively and creatively to solve problems.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; ability to be comfortable with and work effectively to meet deadlines.
- Ability to think and act strategically and at the same time be detail oriented.
- Ability to effectively interact with a diverse community.
- Ability to use tact, discretion and maintain confidentiality with sensitive information
- Proficiency in financial software such as Quickbooks.
- High proficiency in a PC, Windows environment and Microsoft Office products as well as Google products.
Minimum Qualifications/Education Requirements
- Ten years of financial experience in a non-profit environment.
- Ten years of increasing responsibilities in the accounting/finance function and at least half of that time supporting organizations of comparable size to the Academy
- Experience organizing processes and systems a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or finance, CPA/MBA a plus.
- Five years of direct supervisory experience of individuals and/or secondary departments.
- Believes in the Mission of ICA Cristo Rey and the desire to work with the administration and the Board of Directors to ensure the financial sustainability of the Academy.
Salary and Benefits
Comprehensive benefits package and competitive salary dependent upon experience.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Sister Diane Aruda, President
College Counseling (3/5th) and Alumni Advisor (2/5th) Position
College Counseling (3/5th) and Alumni Advisor (2/5th) Position
We are currently looking to hire for the following positions for the 2019-2020 school year:
College Counselor Position (3/5th)
Collaborates directly with College Counselor, Alumni Support Personnel, Students, Parents, Faculty, and College Admissions Representatives.
The College Counselor plays an essential role in ensuring all ICA Cristo Rey students are on track to enroll and succeed in college. The position requires an extraordinary commitment to serving urban, low-income youth – most of whom will be the first in their family to pursue a degree – through the implementation of a comprehensive, four-year college counseling program. The position requires extensive experience with the college admissions process, a strong sense of low-income students’ and family needs in preparing for college, and the ability to manage key relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. In addition, candidates should be prepared to work closely with Naviance Succeed and integrate it into the workflow of the college counseling office.
- Guiding and assisting students through the entire college and financial aid application process
- Planning and leading workshops for parents and students on key topics (financial aid planning, different types of institutions, scholarships, essay writing) related to the college admissions process
- Building and celebrating a school-wide college-going culture (e.g. publicly posting college acceptances, college fair and visits, planning and leading senior acceptance assemblies, and other school-wide traditions)
- Ensuring parents and students comprehend the different application requirements, admissions policies, financial aid applications associated with different colleges
- Ensuring students take advantage of special opportunities made available to low-income students in the college search and application process (i.e. fee waivers, fly-in visits, university partner programs and scholarships)
- Participating in professional development opportunities offered by the Cristo Rey Network
- Maintaining a comprehensive list of scholarships and summer enrichment opportunities on Naviance Succeed or another database
- Assisting with the coordination of the ACT/SAT assessments (PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc.)
- Writing and managing the collection of letters of recommendations for all seniors
- Developing and maintaining a robust network of college admission professionals through regular communication and visits
- Visiting / touring college campuses with students
- Ensuring students participate in a College Fair each year
- Distributing pertinent college information to students and parents through Naviance Succeed
- Establishing, pursuing, and tracking clear school goals for college admissions, enrollment, persistence, and completion
- Participating in information programs hosted by colleges and universities in the region
- Representing ICA Cristo Rey at local, state and national college admissions conferences (ACT/College Board, NACAC), college fairs, and college tours
- Participating in professional development opportunities offered by local college access/admissions organizations (i.e. Association of College Admissions Counselors)
- Serving as an expert to students, parents and staff on the entire college search and selection process
Alumni Advisor Position (2/5th)
- Track alumni college enrollment, retention and persistence using NSC data, social media and other relevant platforms
- Identify and work with struggling students to assess their needs and recommend possible resources and solutions
- Support students during transfer and re-enrollment processes
- Communicate with alumni via telephone, texting, videoconference, and social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, SnapChat, Periscope etc.… to develop proactive relationships essential to supporting academic success
- Coordinate three events per year for ICA CRISTO REY graduates that promote community among alumni and keep them engaged with ICA CRISTO REY
- Conduct visits to colleges where ICA CRISTO REY students are enrolled
- Work closely with students enrolled in 2-year schools to ensure transfer/degree completion and oversee their transition into a 4-year program
- Develop collaborative partnerships with colleges ICA CRISTO REY students attend
- Become familiar with the school environment, culture and support systems
- Assist students in preparation for and transitioning smoothly into the college
- Link students with college/university resources and services that intervene when students show signs of becoming disengaged from school
- Link students with college/university resources and services that intervene when students are at risk of failing a course
- Collaborate with the College Counseling Team to:
- Develop authentic preparations and supports for students to successfully: complete the FAFSA, evaluate financial aid award letters, decide on a college, register and enroll in college
- Provide regular information, contact and support to the parents of the senior students
- Build positive, professional relationships with senior students
- Teach a College Transition course to seniors:
- Support students as they analyze financial aid award letters and make college decisions
- Provide students with lessons to prepare them for college such as: identifying campus resources, time management, selecting classes, understanding course catalogs, social transitions, financial literacy, being involved on campus, dealing with roommates, seeking academic support etc...
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Masters preferred
- At least 3 years of experience in college advising with low-income, urban students and their families
- Strong understanding of the barriers to access to college for low income, first-generation students
- Highly collaborative, dynamic leader with the ability to manage many professional relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required; Bilingual highly recommended; ability to effectively communicate and build relationships with a wide range of individuals and constituencies
- Relentless focus on results, high level of accountability, and willingness to do “whatever it takes”
- Knowledge of social media platforms
- Organized with the ability to advance multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to collect and analyze data
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of the ICA Cristo Rey
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced school environment
- Send resume, cover letter and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Successful Teaching Candidate
The successful candidate will:
- Implement a standards-based and college preparatory curriculum
- Identify appropriate student learning targets for a wide range of learners
- Design learning opportunities that build upon student knowledge and skills
- Design both formal and informal assessments to measure student mastery
- Incorporate formative and summative assessment data to inform the planning and delivery of instruction
- Effectively instruct adolescent learners in an urban setting
- Use effective, research-based instructional and classroom management practices
- Align curriculum and instruction to best meet the needs of students
- Differentiate instruction
- Demonstrate and promote the responsible use of technology as a learning tool
- Inspire students to be more enthusiastic and sophisticated readers and writers
- Communicate with colleagues, students, parents and school leadership regarding student performance
- Demonstrate a willingness to teach a variety of grades and subject areas
- Communicate to students and parents a passion for teaching high school students and their subject area
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in the content area
- Experience teaching; preferably experience with Advanced Placement courses
- Experience working with urban populations
- Send resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com