Student Academic Support
- Counseling check-ins with the academic counselor
- During break, lunch or before and after school
- Academic Assistance class if needed
- Students are assigned this class instead of study hall, if needed
- Study skills, goal setting and similar topics are covered
- Time is set aside for homework completion
Peer & USF Tutorials
Upon request or need, students may be paired with a peer tutor to receive help in a particular subject. Peer tutors are National Honor Society(NHS) members who have demonstrated academic strength in classes. They will pair up with a student at a scheduled meeting time. There is also peer tutoring drop-in hours during the week.
Tutors from the University of San Francisco (USF) partner with a group of sophomores and focus on geometry. The USF students meet once a week with our students.
Cristo Rey Network University Partners
The Cristo Rey Network partners with colleges and universities across the country. These partners have shown their dedication to graduates of Cristo Rey Network schools nationwide by offering various levels of support, ranging from admission consideration to scholarship aid to special oversight once students have matriculated. Some schools offer mentor programs and some host summer programs specifically for Cristo Rey students so that students can experience campus life as they are considering the best-fit college or university. Schools appreciate the values and skills built through a Cristo Rey education and find our graduates to be especially determined and resilient.
The Director of Guidance organizes and supervises the school’s standardized testing program. The testing program includes:
- National Testing Day (Wednesday, Mid October)
- Grade 9: PSAT 8/9*
- Grade 10: PSAT/NMSQT* and AP exams (required for students taking an AP class)
- Grade 11: PSAT/NMSQT*, ACT Plus Writing in April, SAT with Writing in May, AP exams (required for students taking an AP class)
- Grade 12: SAT with Writing, ACT Plus Writing, and AP exams (required for students taking an AP class)
ICA Cristo Rey
The Director of Guidance helps families obtain testing and other services from the San Francisco Unified School District when needed, and ensures that paperwork for extended time standardized testing is submitted. She also assists in the college application process for students with identified needs and communicates essential information to parents and teachers.